We're also on discord.

discord.gg/8Q2UqfWC9r

Why Critique?

Tricia
 π
Tricia's display avatar
» FTalkElite
FTalk Level: zero
Some FTalkers ♥ My Threads!Topic InitiatorSome FTalkers ♥ Me!
SHADOW TEAM FU-Tianz
2019-08-14
Website

Why Critique?

[sub]I want to share this to all of you[/sub] [i]"Most young, prepubescent, teenage, hormonal writers don’t really appreciate the importance of critiquing someone’s work–while understanding the other side. Here are 11 reasons as to why YOU should critique."[/i] Here are eleven reasons: [spoiler]1) You learn things – most people will probably disagree with me on this. However, I can assure that you will see your flaws while critiquing other people’s work. It does not really matter if their work is awesomely written or not, you just grasp some notions that have been beforehand disregarded as being ‘obvious’. Let me give a concrete example: how many times have you corrected vague writing by rephrasing incomprehensible parts, and, in the end, learn something from it? Those have been critiquing for quite a few months will agree with me on this. By analyzing at a deeper level, looking at the figurative techniques, and figuring out which you like or dislike, you identify the qualities you want in your writing. Moreover, you will learn on how explicate more eloquently and more clearly as you are trying to construct comprehensible, constructive criticism. This will help in all types of writing. 2) An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth – This is pretty self-explanatory. If people critique your work, then you should do the same. 3) Increases the chances of getting a critique – Works in the same principle as #2. People will want to critique your work as exchange/revenge for your critique. 4) You will understand what critiquers keep telling you – Heh. I’m addressing those who negatively take a harsh critique. Just do one. You’ll see how much truth there is in these critiques. The reality is that you probably suck as much as those you critique. But hey, you learn. On a side note, try to view the critique with an objective eye; not just imagine the worst case scenario with the critiquer having a personal vendetta against you. Even if they did, rarely are personal vendettas settled in a critique—your alleged hater(s) will probably have better things to do than harass someone. 5) You establish yourself in the community [of writers] – This is particularly important for those who will want to become serious writers. Indeed, this will help you establish yourself in a creative writing environment. This secures a strong foundation in preparation to your eventual career path (ugh, I wanted to stay informal). 6) You gain respect – This is different to #5. Being established means that you try to contribute with the best of your skills; if your critiques are good, insightful, sufficiently objective and detailed enough, people will realise your critiquing (constructive criticism) skills, and, from this, your creative writing skills—however false this perception may be :P . 7) Breaks some biased thoughts regarding a genre (or conversely perpetuates it…) – If you critique a genre you normally don’t like reading, and find out that it’s good, some biased judgement will be broken. This will aid you in your development as a writer. 8) Boosts your self-esteem – Many writers deny this, but you just feel good when others are just as bad as you: P. Seriously ego-boosting, and makes you want to continue on writing. 9) You start to realise how much you suck – Opposite to #8. This may bring you down to the Earth, buuuut you’ll recover. You’ll want to read more. You’ll want to become a better writer. 10) You help people – Come on. Doesn’t helping feel good? It raises your oxytocin, which raises your feelings of well-being. Everyone likes being happy. 11) You learn how to critique – Most starting critiquers always compromise on the level of density of their critique and resort to simple fluffing (‘ZOMG THIS IS SO GOOD, CONTINUE ON WRITING!!’). Rarely does this work, and is probably counter-intuitive to the whole point of critiquing which is to help improve someone’s writing. As you critique, more will you realise the importance of being harsh and the stupidity of the fear to break the writer’s fragile ego. Truth is, being honest and truthful is ultimately more helpful than telling someone that their ‘good’ (which, I think, ironically condescends the skill of the story’s writer, but that’s a different subject). I consider this as second-most important, behind #1, and this will thus end with a cyclical ending.[/spoiler] [spoiler]Source: http://booksandpenguins.wordpress.com/2011/11/22/why-critique-creative-writing-primarily-for-teenageyoung-writers/[/spoiler]

Mao: "Unless the problem of method is solved, talk about the task is useless."

sj0405[?] likes this topic.

Zyrdred
Zyrdred's display avatar
» FTalkGeek
New world, old ways
Lagendia
2012-12-14

Re: Why Critique?

Yup :thumbsup: By means of critiquing is to learn deeply more about the content itself :yes2: And whats good on it is you can share what you've just learn to other people so people might understand it better :yes:
meg
 Xy
meg's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
FTalkers ♥♥ Me!Decent Thread Starter
Fitz
Super Nanix FapcORN Club
Providence
Website

Re: Why Critique?

We do critiquing in my course and it really does help a lot. I learned a few mistakes that I also commit through this. :yes:

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 21:12

[ 9 queries - 0.024 second ]
Privacy Policy