Bob
bobcbar's display avatar
» Made in FTalk ♕
FTalk Level: zero
FTalkers ♥♥ My Threads!Everyone ♥♥♥ Me!Conversationalist
My Daughters
2021-04-28

Philippine government gives OK for US to use old bases, newspaper reports

[quote]The Philippine government said this week that the United States military is again welcome to use Subic Bay and the sprawling Clark Air Base, two decades after the installations were abandoned due to political friction with Manila, according to media reports. Philippine Defense Undersecretary Honorio Azcueta said U.S. troops, ships and aircraft can make use of the old bases, as long as prior approval is granted by the government. Azcueta made the comments following a meeting with Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey, who traveled to the country as part of a regional trip to generate support for a military pivot toward Asia, according to the Philippine Star newspaper. The United States had key bases in the Philippines for decades after World War II, but relations broke down in the early 1990s, and the facilities were returned. The announcement of an expanded military relationship this week comes after months of talks between Washington and Manila, and appears to be another step forward in the U.S. plan to bolster forces in the Asia-Pacific region. “They can come here provided they have prior coordination from the government,” Azcueta said following the meeting at the Philippine military headquarters of Camp Aguinaldo in Manila, according to the Philippine Star newspaper. “That’s what we want … increase in exercises and interoperability.” The United States has a 60-year-old mutual defense treaty with the Philippines and participates in annual exercises with its military. There are also roughly 500 U.S. Special Forces troops that have been advising the Philippine military in its fight against Islamic terrorist groups in the southern portion of the county since 2001. However, it was unclear Thursday how useful the Clark and Subic bases might now be to the United States because much of the land has been privately developed over the past 20 years. The former Navy base at Subic Bay still has an airfield that can accommodate military aircraft and also can provide a safe haven for ships during cyclones, according to the Philippine Star.[/quote] [b]How do you feel about this..will help or hurt the Philippines?[/b]

idgaf[?], and sj0405[?] like this topic.

sj0405
 정아라
sj0405's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
Everyone ♥♥♥ My Threads!Everyone ♥♥♥ Me!Conversationalist
Life's too short to waste
Rated SPG
Seoul, Korea
2016-07-17

Re: Philippine government gives OK for US to use old bases, newspaper reports

[quote=bobcbar;#152327;1339127756]However, it was unclear Thursday how useful the Clark and Subic bases might now be to the United States because much of the land has been privately developed over the past 20 years.[/quote] This is true. I heard that these two bases are being populated by Korean businesses. Anyways, if this happens then everybody will benefit :plotting: :thumbsup:
bramzero
bramzero's display avatar
» FTalkManiac
FTalkers ♥♥ My Threads!Topic InitiatorSome FTalkers ♥ Me!
Se7en Deadly Sins
Purgatory
Website

Beneficial esp. for hookers and bargirls around that area :thumbsup:
bobcbar
 Bob
bobcbar's display avatar
» Made in FTalk ♕
My Daughters
2021-04-28

[quote=bramzero;#153172;1339147629]Beneficial esp. for hookers and bargirls around that area[/quote] :lol3: I'm guessing that will be true...a sudden influx of dollars will help!
idgaf
idgaf's display avatar
» FTalkWhiz
FTalkers ♥♥ Me!
Just Keep Breathing
PANDORAs BOX
Cavite
Website

[quote=bramzero;#153172;1339147629]Beneficial esp. for hookers and bargirls around that area[/quote] Agreed. :lol3:
bobcbar
 Bob
bobcbar's display avatar
» Made in FTalk ♕
My Daughters
2021-04-28

But aren't there really other benefits if the US starts using the bases again?
bramzero
» FTalkManiac
Se7en Deadly Sins
Purgatory
Website

[quote=bobcbar;#154585;1339197949]But aren't there really other benefits if the US starts using the bases again?[/quote] What do you think? :lol:
bobcbar
 Bob
bobcbar's display avatar
» Made in FTalk ♕
My Daughters
2021-04-28

I think it will could improve the quality of life around the bases..all depends on how the new agreement is handled and if the government can prevent the past corruption.
Natsume
Natsume's display avatar
» FTalkAgent
ConversationalistSome FTalkers ♥ Me!Some FTalkers ♥ My Threads!
Optimum Pride
Team Savage
2021-12-17

[quote=bobcbar;#159434;1339363312]I think it will could improve the quality of life around the bases..all depends on how the new agreement is handled and if the government can prevent the past corruption.[/quote] agree with that. -- But i still don't know if the US can really help to expand the philippine military or it will become worst because the phil defence will become vulnerable to the US. there will be a lot protest for that.
bramzero
» FTalkManiac
Se7en Deadly Sins
Purgatory
Website

[quote=bobcbar;#159434;1339363312]I think it will could improve the quality of life around the bases..all depends on how the new agreement is handled and if [b]the government can prevent the past corruption[/b].[/quote] Not gonna happen, not even in a million years. Certainly the people whose life quality will be improved are some elites and corrupt officials. :lol2: [quote=Natsume;#166088;1339629677]But i still don't know if the US can really help to expand the philippine military or it will become worst because the phil defence will become vulnerable to the US.[/quote] True. Esp. if Philippines will be the one logistically supporting and maintaining the military assets, providing support infrastructures and repair facilities, etc. it will be a burden to national budget. :lol3: One of the main goals of their return to Subic and Clark is prolly to gain control over oil and gas in the Spratly islands. Possible scenario: US back up Philippines in the territorial disputes. US companies like Chevron, Exxon, etc. will start to built drilling facilities in those area. It's all just business as always. :lol2:
bobcbar
 Bob
bobcbar's display avatar
» Made in FTalk ♕
My Daughters
2021-04-28

[quote=bramzero;#166871;1339654153]Not gonna happen, not even in a million years. Certainly the people whose life quality will be improved are some elites and corrupt officials[/quote] Agree..don't get me wrong I think almost all governments are corrupt but the philipppines has got to be in the top 10. [quote=bramzero;#166871;1339654153]True. Esp. if Philippines will be the one logistically supporting and maintaining the military assets, providing support infrastructures and repair facilities, etc. it will be a burden to national budget.[/quote] I'm sure part of the agreement is the US will pay for the renovations and maintenance of the infrastructure :yes:
  • News and Gossip 
  • » Philippine government gives OK for US to use old bases, newspaper reports

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 16:03

[ 9 queries - 0.020 second ]
Privacy Policy