» SuperFTalker
FTalk Level: zero
Everyone ♥♥♥ My Threads!Everyone ♥♥♥ Me!Conversationalist
Life's too short to waste
Rated SPG
Seoul, Korea
2016-07-17

Did 'Harry Potter' plagiarize 'Young Sherlock Holmes?'

If imitation is the highest form of flattery then Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling must have really liked Barry Levinson's Young Sherlock Holmes. If you think this theory isn't quite elementary, then let's take a look at the facts. Here are 10 reasons where the worlds of Holmes and Potter collide. The game is afoot! 1.[b] Both Holmes and Potter have not one, but two sidekicks. [/b]While most Sherlocks have their Watson, the young Holmes (Nicholas Rowe) gets another one in the form of his girlfriend Elizabeth (Sophie Ward.) Harry, of course, has Ron and Hermione, but in both cases, the girls are prissy, the male sidekick is a scaredy-cat, and the hero is virtually fearless. And you tell me if you don't think that Elizabeth's bushy mane is somewhat similar to that of the younger Hermione. 2.[b] Both characters' adventures largely take place in their schools.[/b] By now, even non-Harry Potter fans have heard of Hogwart's School of Wizardry where much of the eight-part film series takes place. In YSM, the action predominately takes place in an ominous, late 19th century, London boarding school where Holmes first meets Watson. 4. [b]Holmes' sidekicks and fellow students wear striped scarves in the winter and eat at long candlelit tables. [/b]Though YSM is a period piece and Harry Potter takes place in a fantasy version of modern England, both films features shadowy cobblestone streets and wintry cityscapes. They also feature students bedecked in scarves while dining in warm candlelit dining halls. Even young Watson's spectacles are positively Potter-esque. These are the moments where one thinks that scenes from any given Potter film could be spliced into YSM, and vice versa, without anyone, Muggle or otherwise, ever knowing the difference. 10. [b]The devil is in the opening credits.[/b] While watching the opening credits, you might discover one name that is quite familiar who isn't Steven Spielberg: Chris Columbus, the filmmaker who not only wrote Gremlins, The Goonies, and Young Sherlock Holmes but also directed the first two Harry Potter films! If that doesn't cast a Confundo curse on you, I don't know what will. [b]Conclusion[/b]: Did J.K. Rowling actually plagiarize the filmmakers behind Young Sherlock Holmes? [b]You can decide for yourself[/b], but I at least like to think that given the author's extraordinary depth of talent, she could never really be accused of wholesale theft of other storytellers' ideas. As the saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun, and in the world of creative arts, some things just tend to float in the ether, waiting for someone to give it life either on a page or on a stage. Had YSM been a box office blockbuster that is still embraced by audiences today (and it really should be) there might be something to all these coincidences. Perhaps Ms. Rowling saw YSM once upon a time and its gorgeous imaginings of a Holmesian universe stayed nestled inside the creative side of her brain until that fateful day she finally set pen to paper. Or maybe she's really Moriarty in disguise. Case reopened... I only posted 4 out of 10 so [url=http://www.examiner.com/review/did-harry-potter-plagiarize-young-sherlock-holmes]for further reading click this[/url]

iamnana[?] likes this topic.

iamnana
 Nana
iamnana's display avatar
» FTalkManiac
Some FTalkers ♥ Me!
Row 4
Dissected Heart
2012-10-16
Website

Re: Did 'Harry Potter' plagiarize 'Young Sherlock Holmes?'

I still like Harry Potter series and no matter what, it is and it will be forever, a part of my childhood adventures :)
velle
velle's display avatar
» FTalkFreak
Some FTalkers ♥ Me!
Error 404
2016-06-11
Website

I like Holmes. :)
SweetReverie
 Ju
SweetReverie's display avatar
» FTalkAddict
Trying to save my FTalk
Super Nanix FapcORN Club
2015-02-01

in writing, you can never have not act the crime of thieving scenes and some ideas. but at least, if that's true, J.K. Rowling added alot of her own ideas. All stories have their own originality. I'm not saying this because I love Harry Potter. I'm saying this base on my observations on some writers.:eh:
strikerno14
 Drake
» FTalker
You don't fucking know me
2014-03-18

Lol.
PUSH
 Alstreim
PUSH's display avatar
» FTalkManiac
Decent Thread Starter
I Envy
Se7en Deadly Sins
Seoul, PHL
2021-07-16
Website

Theres one thing that Harry Potter has that YSM doesnt.. The magic, the quidditch, the wands, the spells, the potions. So no, i dont think so. Yes, there could be similarities, but i wouldn't consider it as plagiarizing the whole character or story. Their stories are told in different ways eventhough it could be in a same setting or same sidekicks. Harry Potter grew with us, as well as the books that JK wrote. I dont recall having a lot of series for Sherlock Holmes though, well correct me if im wrong :) And harry isn't a detective.. he's just merely a target, always :lol:
bianx
 Megumi Kairi
bianx's display avatar
» FTalkAgent
FTalkers ♥♥ My Threads!Topic InitiatorSome FTalkers ♥ Me!
Refresh~
house

[quote=PUSH;#261441;1343754859]Theres one thing that Harry Potter has that YSM doesnt.. The magic, the quidditch, the wands, the spells, the potions. So no, i dont think so. Yes, there could be similarities, but i wouldn't consider it as plagiarizing the whole character or story. Their stories are told in different ways eventhough it could be in a same setting or same sidekicks. Harry Potter grew with us, as well as the books that JK wrote. I dont recall having a lot of series for Sherlock Holmes though, well correct me if im wrong And harry isn't a detective.. he's just merely a target, always[/quote] ^THIS and duuuhhhhh it doesnt mean it plagiarized the story even if there's a bunch of similarities there. I mean heller, sometimes stories might be the same but there will always be a difference. I like Harry Potter.
Aiashine
 Aiashine Shin
Aiashine's display avatar
» FTalkGeek
Some FTalkers ♥ Me!
The Scandalers
PH

I think there is no originality now. I mean, you can't find "originality" now.
Isaac
 underscoreJI
Isaac's display avatar
» FTalkAddict
Decent Thread StarterSome FTalkers ♥ My Threads!
Row 4
2015-06-28

This isn't plagiarism for so many reasons. Inspired maybe but not plagiarism. If this is then every Filipino teleserye would be a plagiarized version of each other. :lol3:

Last edited by Isaac (2012-08-17 03:39:33)

• Movies 
  • » Did 'Harry Potter' plagiarize 'Young Sherlock Holmes?'

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 11:02

[ 9 queries - 0.029 second ]
Privacy Policy