4 Strategies to Stop Arguing

kath
kath's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
FTalk Level: zero
Decent Thread StarterFTalkers ♥♥ Me!
2013-08-05

4 Strategies to Stop Arguing

[b]Use Your Ears, Not Your Mouth[/b] If you find yourself sounding like a playlist on repeat, try pressing pause. "Research has found that unhappy couples tend to repeat themselves out of desperation to be heard, which isn't productive. They wind up talking at each other instead of having a dialogue," says Benjamin Karney, Ph.D., codirector of the Relationship Institute at the University of California at Los Angeles. [b]Don't Make It Personal[/b] In the heat of an argument, the gloves often come off. The problem, notes Rita DeMaria, Ph.D., director of relationship education at the Council for Relationships in Philadelphia, is that once nasty insults start flying around and feelings are hurt, nothing will be resolved. Also, according to a study conducted at the University of Chicago, our brains have a built-in "negativity bias," which causes us to be more responsive to unpleasant news. Why? Back in caveman times, our survival as a species was dependent on our ability to stay out of danger, so our brains developed protective systems that made it impossible to overlook the bad. That's why you need to minimize the negative impact of your words. Remember, the goal isn't to upset each other, it's to resolve an issue. So instead of exclaiming "You're so lazy!" tell him how his actions affect you. Try, "I get tired of planning everything for us and wish you would take over sometimes." [b]Stop Trying to Figure Out Who Wins[/b] It may be a lovers' quarrel, but victory isn't declared when one of you staggers back to the bedroom, clutching your wounded heart in your hands. "People often fixate on who's right, which distracts them from finding a solution," says Karney. "Conflicts are resolved quickly and more successfully when neither party feels compelled to proclaim, 'See that? I'm right!' " For starters, find something you both can agree on (even if it means admitting that, OK, maybe you do send him a few too many texts while he's out with his friends). Then focus on finding a happy medium. For example, say, "I know it annoys you when I bombard you with text messages, but I get worried when you take forever to reply. Let's find a way to handle this so that we're both comfortable." This way, there's much less toddlerlike head butting. [b]Remember You're a Couple[/b] We know this is a tall order, but if you can express positive emotions during an argument, you'll have a more satisfying relationship two or three years down the road, according to a study published in the Journal of Marriage and Family. "When couples are able to communicate closeness, affection (for example, a touch on the arm or the cheek), and even humor in the midst of an argument, the impact of harsher words is diminished," Karney says. "Positive interactions say that you still like and love each other, and you're committed to the relationship even in the worst of times." And you can even go a step further by incorporating some playful ribbing: Couples who lightly tease each other during a conflict wind up feeling more in love when the disagreement finally blows over, according to a study conducted at the University of California at Berkeley.

sj0405[?], and Tricia[?] like this topic.

Tricia
 π
Tricia's display avatar
» FTalkElite
Some FTalkers ♥ My Threads!Topic InitiatorSome FTalkers ♥ Me!
SHADOW TEAM FU-Tianz
2019-08-14
Website

Re: 4 Strategies to Stop Arguing

=) :crybaby:

Mao: "Unless the problem of method is solved, talk about the task is useless."
kath
kath's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
2013-08-05

why :pet:
Mary
 Mary
» FTalkAddict
Decent Thread Starter
no
PANDORAs BOX
where
2014-11-03

Let us all stop arguing. :manhug:
kath
kath's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
2013-08-05

[quote=Mary;#190645;1340454355]Let us all stop arguing.[/quote] your right :lala:
Jhncys
Jhncys's display avatar
» FTalkGeek
Super Nanix FapcORN Club
2014-03-22

It's not about winnin the argument. Sometimes, you have to lose so you won't lose him/her.
Zyrdred
Zyrdred's display avatar
» FTalkGeek
New world, old ways
Lagendia
2012-12-14

:heart2:
sj0405
 정아라
sj0405's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
Everyone ♥♥♥ My Threads!Everyone ♥♥♥ Me!Conversationalist
Life's too short to waste
Rated SPG
Seoul, Korea
2016-07-17

It's easier said than done but there's no harm in trying to avoid it :lol3:
velle
velle's display avatar
» FTalkFreak
Some FTalkers ♥ Me!
Error 404
2016-06-11
Website

Peace be with you!
kath
kath's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
2013-08-05

[quote=Jhncys;#191566;1340501457]It's not about winnin the argument. Sometimes, you have to lose so you won't lose him/her.[/quote] your right :D [quote=sj0405;#192221;1340520053]It's easier said than done but there's no harm in trying to avoid it[/quote] yes there's no hard in trying [quote=velle;#192343;1340523379]Peace be with you![/quote] and also with yoe :thumbsup:
A I C H
 VDN
A I C H's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
Everyone ♥♥♥ Me!Topic InitiatorSome FTalkers ♥ My Threads!
Yah.
Rated SPG

[quote=kath;#190482;1340449146]Use Your Ears, Not Your Mouth[/quote] Listening is the number 1 rule. :thumbsup:
kath
kath's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
2013-08-05

[quote=A I C H;#193123;1340545574]Listening is the number 1 rule.[/quote] yes your right :thumbsup: and dont take your pride first :yes:
Mary
 Mary
» FTalkAddict
Decent Thread Starter
no
PANDORAs BOX
where
2014-11-03

winning in an argument is losing. You win the topic, you loss the person. it's the worst type of winning. =)
kath
kath's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
2013-08-05

[quote=Mary;#194472;1340616263]winning in an argument is losing. You win the topic, you loss the person. it's the worst type of winning.[/quote] :pet: this is just a strategy on how you can less the argument :yes:
jechel.eonni
 Eonni Chel~yah ! ;)
jechel.eonni's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
Some FTalkers ♥ My Threads!Topic InitiatorFTalkers ♥♥ Me!
nan nappeun gijibae ;)
Rated SPG
Cebu, Philippines
2015-05-08
Website

[quote=kath;#190482;1340449146]Stop Trying to Figure Out Who Wins[/quote] stop ittttt !! :lala: :dance: [quote=kath;#190482;1340449146]Remember You're a Couple[/quote] :thumbsup:
kath
kath's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
2013-08-05

[quote=jechel.eonni;#195607;1340689614]stop ittttt !![/quote] :thumbsup: :)
chaw
» FTalkElite
Se7en Deadly Sins

I hate arguments. Whenever I feel like I'm about to say something I would regret, I just shut up and tell my boyfriend I'll talk to him later. Because a Mad JC will not do anybody good -- not even myself. =( So I give myself time to calm down LOL
mndrl
 Mandy
» FTalkGeek
Some FTalkers ♥ Me!

I hate suppressing my feelings when I'm mad so sometimes I just say whatever I want to say then regret it after. lol Or sometimes, I just suppress it and then I get more mad because I can't let it all out hahaha BUT I am calm most of the timeee or so I claim to be hahaha

Last edited by mndrl (2012-07-08 03:16:55)

A I C H
 VDN
A I C H's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
Everyone ♥♥♥ Me!Topic InitiatorSome FTalkers ♥ My Threads!
Yah.
Rated SPG

Listen. Don't take it personally. Understand. RESPECT. :yes:
sj0405
 정아라
sj0405's display avatar
» SuperFTalker
Everyone ♥♥♥ My Threads!Everyone ♥♥♥ Me!Conversationalist
Life's too short to waste
Rated SPG
Seoul, Korea
2016-07-17

[quote=kath;#190482;1340449146]Use Your Ears, Not Your Mouth[/quote] Most often than not :lol3:

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 14:40

[ 9 queries - 0.050 second ]
Privacy Policy