Announcement

We are moving to Friendster.click

Join us: www.friendster.click/join-friendster

We're also on discord.

discord.gg/8Q2UqfWC9r

• Tech Zone 
  • » Hard Disk Drive (HDD) vs Solid State Drive (SSD)

Hard Disk Drive (HDD) vs Solid State Drive (SSD)

Poll

Which is better? Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or Solid State Drive (SSD)

Hard Disk Drive (HDD)?
33% - 1
Solid State Drive (SSD)?
66% - 2

Total : 3 votes
FTalk newbies are not allowed to vote

vanraid
 Denz Salvador
vanraid's display avatar
» FTalker
FTalk Level: zero
Decent Thread Starter
ABS-CBN
Balagtas, Bulacan
2015-07-03
Website

[b] Hard Disk Drive (HDD)[/b] [b]Components:[/b] HDD contains moving parts - a motor-driven spindle that holds one or more flat circular disks (called platters) coated with a thin layer of magnetic material. Read-and-write heads are positioned on top of the disks; all this is encased in a metal case. [b]Weight:[/b] HDDs are heavier than SSD drives. [b]Heat, Electricity, Noise:[/b] Hard disk drives use more electricity to rotate the platters, generating heat and noise. [b]Dealing with vibration:[/b] The moving parts of HDDs make them susceptible to crashes and damage due to vibration. [b]Speed:[/b] HDD has higher latency, longer read/write times, and supports fewer IOPs (input output operations per second) compared to SSD. [b]Defragmentation:[/b] The performance of HDD drives worsens due to fragmentation; therefore, they need to be periodically defragmented. [b]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b] [b]Solid State Drive (SSD)[/b] [b]Components:[/b] SSD has no moving parts; it is essentially a memory chip. It is interconnected, integrated circuits (ICs) with an interface connector. There are three basic components - controller, cache and capacitor. [b]Weight:[/b] SSD drives are lighter than HDD drives because they do not have the rotating disks, spindle and motor. [b]Heat, Electricity, Noise:[/b] Since no such rotation is needed in solid state drives, they use less power and do not generate heat or noise. [b]Dealing with vibration:[/b] SSD drives can withstand vibration up to 2000Hz, which is much more than HDD. [b]Speed:[/b] SSD has lower latency, longer read/write times, and supports more IOPs (input output operations per second) compared to HDD. [b]Defragmentation:[/b] SSD drive performance is not impacted by fragmentation. So defragmentation is not necessary. [b][url=http://www.diffen.com/difference/HDD_vs_SSD]Source[/url][/b]

Last edited by vanraid (2012-08-18 06:20:32)

bobcbar[?] likes this topic.

bobcbar
 Bob
bobcbar's display avatar
» Made in FTalk ♕
FTalkers ♥♥ My Threads!Everyone ♥♥♥ Me!Conversationalist
My Daughters
2021-04-28

Re: Hard Disk Drive (HDD) vs Solid State Drive (SSD)

SSD is the way to go now..I'm sure they will work out the read/write speed times soon :yes:
velle
velle's display avatar
» FTalkFreak
Some FTalkers ♥ Me!
Error 404
2016-06-11
Website

:dumb:
kite
 is clinically dead for 16 hrs.
kite's display avatar
» FTalkFreak
Decent Thread StarterSome FTalkers ♥ Me!
Se7en Deadly Sins
Website

Go for SSD. :thumbsup: But I don't have it. :lol3:
strikerno14
 Drake
» FTalker
You don't fucking know me
2014-03-18

SSD's are way more expensive and you can get a better hard drive with a better memory at the same price. Also, SSD's aren't really reliable because it only gives its best performance when it's new. After weeks of using it, it will start to fail. When an SSD fails, it doesn't give any warning and will result in total data loss, unlike an HDD which will give you time to back up your files. In other words, it's kind of unfair right now to choose between the two since both have strengths and weaknesses, but as of right now, I'd choose a hard drive.
bramzero
bramzero's display avatar
» FTalkManiac
FTalkers ♥♥ My Threads!Topic InitiatorSome FTalkers ♥ Me!
Se7en Deadly Sins
Purgatory
Website

For personal use I'd still choose HDD as it provides better value for money. However SSD has matured over the years, I have to disagree with negative remarks regarding the reliability/performance of SSD. My experience with SSD proves otherwise. A couple of years ago I got my hands on a db server with Intel X25-E SSD (replacing Seagate Cheetah 15K - one of the fastest spinner - due to occasional bottleneck in I/O). I saw a huge performance boost, also it was very stable even in a live/production environment. I don't know what would happen when it fails, but they said Intel SSD have a good wear leveling algorithm, and bad blocks will produce an error/warning instead of data overwrite so the existing data stays intact.
  • Tech Zone 
  • » Hard Disk Drive (HDD) vs Solid State Drive (SSD)

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 09:45

[ 10 queries - 0.022 second ]
Privacy Policy