BebeChiyo's display avatar
» FTalkElite
FTalk Level: zero
FTalkers ♥♥ Me!FTalkers ♥♥ My Threads!Topic Initiator
PANDORAs BOX
UK | PH
Website

Large Earthquake strikes off Philippines

A [b]7.6[/b]-magnitude earthquake has struck off the eastern Philippine island of Samar, causing tsunami evacuations and power cuts. [b]UPDATE (as of 11:05 PM, August 31, 2012): Tsunami warning CANCELLED for Philippines, Indonesia, Belau and all other areas covered in initial warning..[/b] The earthquake struck at a depth of [b]33km (20 miles)[/b] at [b]20:47 local time[/b] (12:47 GMT), the US Geological Survey said. The quake was said to be long and violent, with some roads and bridges reported to be damaged. One woman was reported to have been killed and a young child injured when a house collapsed in Cagayan de Oro city, on the main southern island of Mindanao, officials said (Photo of the scene below). [align=center][img]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/62610000/jpg/_62610457_dvrclhbz.jpg[/img][/align] [b][u]'Shaking violently'[/u][/b] Tsunami warnings were initially issued for Indonesia, the Philippines, Palau, Taiwan, Japan, Papua New Guinea, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands and Yap, but they have all now been lifted. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said a tsunami had been generated, but the waves witnessed were small. Some parts of the southern and eastern Philippines were hit by a wave of 16cm (6in). The epicentre of the quake was 146km from the town of Guiuan, on the southern tip of Samar. Marivic Singco, country finance manager of the aid organisation Plan International, experienced the quake in the Philippine city of Tacloban on the northern tip of Leyte island. She said she was in a restaurant and took shelter under a table when the quake struck. "It lasted for about half a minute; it felt so long! It was very strong and getting stronger. Tables were shaking violently. Other customers started to run for the door, but we stayed where we were until it stopped." One woman was reported killed in a house collapse in Cagayan de Oro on Mindanao She said there was no power and the city was dark. "I was really very scared and we don't know if there will be more shocks." "Strong earthquake here in Taft, Eastern Samar! And it lasted very long too," Reuters news agency quoted a local congressman, Ben Evardone, as saying in a text message. "We are in a wait-and-see situation. Some bridges and roads were damaged and people panicked and are now on higher ground," he told local radio. Philippine officials said residents on the eastern coast of the island had been advised to move to a higher level. A fisherman in Guiuan told Associated Press by telephone: "My neighbours and I have evacuated. We are now on our way to the mountains."

Last edited by BebeChiyo (2012-09-01 09:32:41)

JaChriz
 Ja-Chriz
JaChriz's display avatar
» FTalkElite
FTalkers ♥♥ My Threads!ConversationalistFTalkers ♥♥ Me!
I aM uNiqUe ♥
Taiwan
2017-12-03
Website

Re: Large Earthquake strikes off Philippines

Oh... i wish my family were ok.. Thanks for this BB. We also feel this earthquake here.
cropped.head
 Gregorio H. Del Pilar
cropped.head's display avatar
» FTalkWhiz
Topic InitiatorSome FTalkers ♥ Me!Some FTalkers ♥ My Threads!
Super Nanix FapcORN Club

UPDATE (as of 11:05 PM, August 31, 2012): Tsunami warning CANCELLED for Philippines, Indonesia, Belau and all other areas covered in initial warning.
Zyrdred
Zyrdred's display avatar
» FTalkGeek
New world, old ways
Lagendia
2012-12-14

It didn't hit Manila. Thats a relief :shock:
Daniera_cHan122
 Dane
Daniera_cHan122's display avatar
» FTalkGeek
Some FTalkers ♥ Me!Some FTalkers ♥ My Threads!Topic Initiator
2021-02-16
Website

I felt the earthquake and that time my stomach was full because we had family dinner and lol good thing I didn't puke :lol:
BebeChiyo
 PANDORA
BebeChiyo's display avatar
» FTalkElite
FTalkers ♥♥ Me!FTalkers ♥♥ My Threads!Topic Initiator
PANDORAs BOX
UK | PH
Website

[quote=Daniera_cHan122;#283067;1346506734]I felt the earthquake and that time my stomach was full because we had family dinner and lol good thing I didn't puke[/quote] OMG :o You're OK, I guess. Did it feel strong?
Daniera_cHan122
 Dane
Daniera_cHan122's display avatar
» FTalkGeek
Some FTalkers ♥ Me!Some FTalkers ♥ My Threads!Topic Initiator
2021-02-16
Website

[quote=BebeChiyo;#283101;1346508089]OMG :o You're OK, I guess. Did it feel strong?[/quote] The earthquake here in Cebu was not that strong. The earthquake last Feb was stronger tho.
Darryl
 Darryl
Darryl's display avatar
» FTalkManiac
Cebuuuuuuuuu!
2013-11-22

I'm from Cebu and I didn't notice the earthquake at all :wtf:
ms.audrey99
 Audrey
ms.audrey99's display avatar
» FTalkAddict
Rated SPG
Cebu , Philippines
2014-04-14

i'm from cebu and i do notice the earthquake . it took around 30-45 seconds before it totally stop...:(

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 07:43

[ 9 queries - 0.040 second ]
Privacy Policy