Announcement

We are moving to Friendster.click

Join us: www.friendster.click/join-friendster

We're also on discord.

discord.gg/8Q2UqfWC9r

Is college degree important? What about MBA? Phd?

bubblegum
 Khaleesi
bubblegum's display avatar
» FTalkFreak
FTalk Level: zero
FTalkers ♥♥ Me!Topic Initiator
Desolation
Nightosphere
2021-07-08

Is college degree important? What about MBA? Phd?

There are lots of successful people who doesnt need a college degree to have lots of accomplishments. Take for example, Manny Pacquiao. He's a boxer, legislator, actor, endorser and businessman at the same time. Yet he doesnt hold a degree in college. So what do you think, is college degree very important? Do you think of taking up graduate studies upon finishing college?
zanza
 Bogem
zanza's display avatar
» FTalker
2014-05-14

Re: Is college degree important? What about MBA? Phd?

You should take into consideration the number of successful people who were college graduates versus the number of successful undergrads. Most jobs with satisfying pay requires people to at least have a college degree. A college degree is important if you're planning to be a professional. Who would want to hire an undergraduate nurse? pilot? Or see an undergrad doctor? Some jobs like the crew in a ship do not get promoted if they're undergrads even though they're skilled and capable. I think same goes with hotel and restaurant staff.
bramzero
bramzero's display avatar
» FTalkManiac
FTalkers ♥♥ My Threads!Topic InitiatorSome FTalkers ♥ Me!
Se7en Deadly Sins
Purgatory
Website

No. Unless you want to be a scientist or something like that. Education system is a big failure. Admit it. The world doesn't need more kids who can only think of working at companies and be managers, who are as useless as drones when jobless. We need creative people and entrepreneurs who are able to start something and open up opportunities for themselves and others.
zanza
 Bogem
zanza's display avatar
» FTalker
2014-05-14

Let me just tell you that most people want to be entrepreneurs but most people fail miserably because [quote=bramzero;#395954;1397467163]We need creative people and entrepreneurs who are able to start something and open up opportunities for themselves and others.[/quote] Where do they get the capital? Work at companies first and be managers = college graduate. People who can't afford going to College don't have any choice but do the dirty jobs most people do not want.
chaw
» FTalkElite
Decent Thread StarterFTalkers ♥♥ Me!
Se7en Deadly Sins

In my case, yes. Education is my only way out of my current socioeconomic class. If I want to move up at least just one social class, then I'd need to have that degree. But that's just me. I think Education is gold and I love it. Other people would die just to have a free ticket to having a college degree, a master's degree and a PhD.

Last edited by chaw (2014-04-14 06:37:40)

bramzero
» FTalkManiac
Se7en Deadly Sins
Purgatory
Website

[quote=zanza;#395957;1397468402]Let me just tell you that most people want to be entrepreneurs but most people fail miserably because Where do they get the capital? Work at companies first and be managers = college graduate. People who can't afford going to College don't have any choice but do the dirty jobs most people do not want.[/quote] Those "most people" are not good enough in that aspect because they subconciously follow what school and society taught them, to be conformists. Creative people don't fail miserably, failures are their lessons to produce better ideas, ideas about something that people will like, something for better life, something people need, something that will sell like hot cakes. These are the same people who are able to produce failproof business plans, who can start things with little or no capital, who don't have problem in raising fund and getting investors to trust them when necessary. We need more of these kind of people but don't expect our current educational institutions to produce them.

Last edited by bramzero (2014-04-14 06:42:43)

zanza
 Bogem
zanza's display avatar
» FTalker
2014-05-14

[quote=bramzero;#395983;1397472032]Those "most people" are not good enough in that aspect because they subconciously follow what school and society taught them, to be conformists.[/quote] It's not because they are conformists but because they are simply idiots who don't have the necessary skills to enter the competitive world of business. And I always thought creativity is innate. :plotting:
bramzero
» FTalkManiac
Se7en Deadly Sins
Purgatory
Website

[quote=zanza;#395999;1397474772]It's not because they are conformists but because they are simply idiots who don't have the necessary skills to enter the competitive world of business.[/quote] Because they complied when schools/universities taught theoretical bullshit and directed them to be the workforce. [quote=zanza;#395999;1397474772]And I always thought creativity is innate. :plotting:[/quote] I thought so too but that's because the whole life we've been told by people around us that if you can draw / write / sculpt / play music / etc. we are creative. Then we started to believe if we can't draw / write / sculpt / play music / etc. we are not creative. The truth is creativity is not just about artistry. Can you learn to produce something or to solve a problem, in a relevant and innovative way? If your answer is yes then creativity is not innate and anyone can learn to be creative.
zanza
 Bogem
zanza's display avatar
» FTalker
2014-05-14

[quote=bramzero;#396133;1397491111]Because they complied when schools/universities taught theoretical bullshit and directed them to be the workforce.[/quote] I will have to agree that most people were directed to be the workforce but I think that is necessary for this world to thrive. If no one wants to do the mindless drone jobs, whole society will collapse. Producing this type of ppl is too unreal[i] "These are the same people who are able to produce failproof business plans, who can start things with little or no capital, who don't have problem in raising fund and getting investors to trust them when necessary.[/i] Coz truth of the matter is, is entering the business world is full of risks which is why most people who are afraid of delayed gratification prefer to work for others than learn [i]creativity[/i]. And I am not sure but the course for entrepreneurs is business administration or commerce so where does learning creativity comes in?

Last edited by zanza (2014-04-15 10:03:14)

ninch
 charm_caster0604
ninch's display avatar
» FTalkFreak
Topic InitiatorFTalkers ♥♥ Me!Some FTalkers ♥ My Threads!
Se7en Deadly Sins
2019-07-18

It depends on the career you want to pursue. If you want to be a successful athlete (like Manny Pacquaio) then having a college degree is not important since being a successful athlete requires training, physical strength, agility, or whatsoever the sport requires. Same thing goes when you want to be an actor or actress or a fashion model where looks, body proportions, face, training, etc are of great importance but not academic achievements. But if you plan to be in the corporate world, then that's where the importance of having a college degree comes in.
bramzero
» FTalkManiac
Se7en Deadly Sins
Purgatory
Website

[quote=zanza;#396704;1397564454]And I am not sure but the course for entrepreneurs is business administration or commerce so where does learning creativity comes in?[/quote] Why don't you at least do your homework and make sure you fully understand what you're saying, before throwing some silly arguments? :thumbsup:
zanza
 Bogem
zanza's display avatar
» FTalker
2014-05-14

[quote=bramzero;#396917;1397582156]Why don't you at least do your homework and make sure you fully understand what you're saying, before throwing some silly arguments?[/quote] Oh right sorry bout that because you're the expert in reconstructing/improving the whole educational system and into producing more creative people when you don't even know how to make that feasible. :thumbsup: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_of_Business_Administration]Alright, here you go.[/url] Those are the courses for people who wants to be an entrepreneur so how do you effectively change people to become like this: [i]These are the same people who are able to produce failproof business plans, who can start things with little or no capital, who don't have problem in raising fund and getting investors to trust them when necessary.[/i] That's like bringing someone into a classroom and try changing their personalities. Creativity might be learned, but can you change their appetite for risks? Dissipate their anxiety from uncertainty? Eliminate fear from failure? and etc.
bramzero
» FTalkManiac
Se7en Deadly Sins
Purgatory
Website

[quote=zanza;#396928;1397584744]Oh right sorry bout that because you're the expert in reconstructing/improving the whole educational system and into producing more creative people when you don't even know how to make that feasible. :thumbsup:[/quote] Let me tell you a few things. :thumbsup: 1. Nowhere I stated I'm an expert in any field 2. Accusation requires concrete evidence 3. Sarcasm and personal attacks won't help you making points in a reasoned debate 4. Hope you're into jumbo hotdogs because 5. With your current capacity you're better off as a cocksucker And for your information, business administration degrees are generally for people who aim for managerial positions in companies.
zanza
 Bogem
zanza's display avatar
» FTalker
2014-05-14

Hope you're into jumbo hotdogs too bro because look who's making personal attacks now. And FYI, you can see entrepreneurship as one of the specialization under BA. Lemme stop here before it turns into a complete sausage fest. :thumbsup:
Aberforth
 Aberforth Percival W B Dumbledore
Aberforth's display avatar
» n00b
[t][o][p][s]
Hogsmeade
2014-04-18

:no2:
aya
 Aya Shirayuki
aya's display avatar
» The Malevolent Queen of Hearts ♔
ConversationalistSome FTalkers ♥ My Threads!Some FTalkers ♥ Me!
I am Sloth.
Se7en Deadly Sins
2022-12-21

It is important even if you were not able to use the knowledge and skills taught to you in College for whatever reason. A college degree will [i]still[/i] give you an edge from other people and it [i]will[/i] provide you with more opportunities. Most companies even reject applications from unknown schools and prefer to hire those who graduated from a well-known university.
michelle
michelle's display avatar
» FTalkAddict
2015-05-12

Of course, it is. Not everyone can have the same fate as those men who managed to succeed without a degree filed under their cvs. To most people, their degree is still one of their best tickets to be successful because admit it, having one is an advantage.
anesforsaken
 anes
anesforsaken's display avatar
» FTalkAgent
SSDD
homeless
Website

not really important i think... just saw this person.. [spoiler]bill gates, steve job, mark zuckerberg and lady gaga[/spoiler] :lol3::lol3::penguin:
Pawws
 wethebipolars
Pawws's display avatar
» FTalkElite
ConversationalistSome FTalkers ♥ My Threads!Some FTalkers ♥ Me!
Se7en Deadly Sins
Manila

For me, it is. It's your own personal achievement, and in the end, you're not naman just obtaining a degree for you to compare it or to boast out to people, it's for yourself, and for yourself alone. Achievement 'yan dahil kineri mo 'teh. Go! Ipagyabang mo pa. Yan... yabang mo kasi eh. Joke. :lol2:
velle
velle's display avatar
» FTalkFreak
Some FTalkers ♥ Me!
Error 404
2016-06-11
Website

Yes it is and also technical skills. People take degrees for them to improve their lives but if they've got the money and they are contented with what they have, they'll probably invest it and buy stocks and live happily ever till death. But in some cases, people take degrees for them to improve not only their skills but also their attitude or even gain friends and connections. With regards to MBAs or Phds, I think it's for promotional reasons and salary increase or/and self-fulfillment. :retard:

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 20:06

[ 9 queries - 0.024 second ]
Privacy Policy